The irony of running a food business is that even though I spent most of my hours in the kitchen making food, I often don’t have the time to make meals for myself. While there is some degree of taste testing that goes on but I’ve been looking for different bars and quick pre-made treats. Farro has been making it into our rotation for awhile now and it has been a great whole grain replacement for white rice and pasta.
That’s why I jumped on the chance to participate in the Tuscan Fields contest to sponsor a blogger’s attendance at the conference in Philadelphia this year. They sent me two boxes of their delicious farro
Since everything I make is fluffed up, I decided to create a recipe that mixes the 100% organic farro and a tomato basil marshmallow. The process was a touch more complicated than a a rice based crispy treat, but it was a lot more satisfying. I absolutely love the combination of the savory tomato flavor and the sweet marshmallow base. I added a little shredded cheese to pump up the tomato soup flavor and boy did it work. These bars have been a fantastic pick me up when I don’t have time to make a full meal.
Tomato Cheese Farro Treats
5 1/2 ounces tomato basil marshmallows
1 package Tuscan Fields Farro Perlato
1/2 cup cheese (provolone, cheddar or gruyere are best)
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1. In a medium saucepan add the whole package of Tuscan Fields Farro Perlato and three cups of water, bring to a boil and then reduce to medium and cover. Cook for 12 minutes.
2. Drain the farro and move to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1 Tablespoons in a large frying pan, add the farro in a single layer and cook over high heat for 5 minutes stirring once.
4. Meanwhile heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter in a separate medium saucepan and cook until the butter bubbles and then stops bubbling. Once the butter stops bubbling and starts turning brown add the 5 1/2 ounces of marshmallows and stir until melted.
5. Add all of the farro and the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the marshmallows and stir until combined. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Cool the farro in the fridge until firm.
6. Store in the fridge and enjoy!