A few months ago, my college roommates and I met up at my friend Jessie’s house. I can’t believe she agreed to host us since she was 9 months pregnant and had two kids under 5 at home. Even with all of her life craziness she planned a fun weekend for us.
One morning we woke up to Jessie putting a breakfast casserole into the oven that smelled decadent. I was imagining a really heavy breakfast bread or something of that nature but when I asked she told me that it was a baked oatmeal from Supernatural Everyday. I’ve been a fan of 101 Cookbooks for awhile now and was delighted to find a new recipe, especially one that could be made in the beginning of the week and eaten all week.
Adapted from Supernatural Everyday
This recipe is pretty quick to put together and is not only great when it is freshly made, it can be refrigerated and reheated for the easiest “bowl” of oatmeal during the week.
2 cups oats
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces frozen blueberries, thawed and drained (or any other berry)
1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease the inside of an 8x8 square baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the 2 c oats, 1/4 c walnuts, 1/3 c sugar, 1 t baking powder, 1 1/2 t cinnamon and 1/2 t salt.
3. In a smaller bowl whisk together the 2 c milk, 1 egg, 3 T butter and 2 t vanilla.
4. Slice the banana thinly and spread out across the bottom of the dish. Pour half the blueberries over the banana and top with the oat mixture.
5. Pour the milk mixture on top and gently shake the container so that the liquid is spread throughout the dish. Pour the rest of the blueberries evenly on top.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the oatmeal has set.