My niece and sister came to visit recently. Since I am not an expert at feeding two year olds I decided to make some blueberry muffins. Why not combine her favorite food (blueberries) with her favorite food delivery device (cake). I also made her some chocolate green monster muffins but they never stood a chance.
It wasn’t all blueberries and cake, our first morning together I took her around Capitol Hill. Who knew that there was nothing fun for a two year old on The Hill? Thankfully our second day together was filled with three separate playgrounds and one extremely happy Keira.
Easy Blueberry Muffins
adapted from the Screaming Sardine
Notes: These were easy and fast. Aside from the oven preheating time these take about 30 minutes (including the cooking time). The dish usage was minimal and the cleanup was basically done before the muffins came out of the oven. They stored nicely for almost a week and probably would have frozen nicely but we gobbled them up too fast.
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup blueberries
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 425 and coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl stir together the 1 1/2 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, and 1 1/2 t baking powder and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the 1 egg, 1/2 c yogurt, 1 stick butter and 1 t vanilla.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Then add the blueberries and fold them in gently.
4. Divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
5. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 400 and cook for 5-10 minutes longer or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutritionals (12 muffins) Cals: 187, Fat: 8, Carb: 25, Fiber: 1, Protein: 3