I bought my droid phone right before Christmas a few years ago and the first game I added was Poke a Mole (Angry Birds did not yet exist). This game quickly became addictive and I spent a lot time perfecting my skills. The problem with this game was that there was no satisfaction from winning. You never actually won the game, time just ran out.
Two years after I deleted that game from my phone, I am back playing that game. This time in real life with zucchini from our CSA. I was so excited about the variety we would get from the CSA but each week we are faced with pounds of zucchini that we need to figure out how to use. I’ve made chocolate chocolate zucchini muffins, parmesan zucchini crisps(recipe coming soon) and Dan has made gallons of zucchini cucumber soup.
Just like the game, the CSA will not be extended since I can’t imagine another summer of figuring out how to use this vegetable! This week I’ll be posting all of the zucchini recipes that I tried that hid the taste of the zucchini.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Liberally grease and flour the muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl, beat the 3 eggs with a whisk.
3. Mix in 1 c oil and 1 3/4 c sugar, then 2 c zucchini and 2 t vanilla.
4. Stir together 1 1/2 c flour, 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour, 3 t cinnamon, 1/8 t nutmeg, 1 t baking soda, 1 t baking powder and 1 t salt, and 1 c chocolate chips.
5. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and pour into the muffin tins.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes. (if you make into a loaf it will bake for an hour)
Nutritionals (24 muffins) Cals: 244, Fat: 3, Carb: 34, Fiber: 2, Protein: 2