Pork n' BeansActive Time: 35 min.
Total Time: 1 hr 35 min.
Dish Usage: Medium
Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the chart, but with this recipe, you won’t have to work with him to perfect the art. This was a pretty hearty meal, and Beth enjoyed it enough to slurp up the broth from the bottom of her bowl. It’s pretty high in calories, which was good for me, but I think it’s filling enough that you could avoid eating too much of it. Also, it has some of those “vegetable” things in it that I’ve heard so much about.
1 lb pork stew meat
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 fresh sage sprig
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F
2. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat one tbsp of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown the pork for about 6 min. Then add the broth, water, and herbs and bring to a boil.
3. Cover the mixture and place it in the oven for 1 hour.
4. In a separate pan, heat the remaining tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook for about 4 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
5. Once the pork comes out of the oven, add the onion mixture to it and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
Nutritionals: 559 cal, 19.6 g fat, 43.5 g carb, 51.7 g protein, 10.6 g fiber