I have to admit that I have a bit of a culinary crush on Alton Brown. I love watching his show, “Good Eats” and the other night we were watching his show about his diet and he shared a protein sandwich that sounded interesting. While it does include sardines (which I had never eaten before) It also includes an avocado which I’ve been trying to get Dan to eat. Plus Alton Brown mentioned that Sardines had some good properties to help you lose weight.
We both tried this with trepidation but were pleasantly surprised, It didn’t taste all that fishy, but was actually really flavorful. I would definitely recommend this recipe to anyone feeling adventurous.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 can of sardines
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 pieces of sour dough bread
- Drain the oil from the sardine cans into a bowls.
- Brush some olive oil onto the pieces of bread. Then place the bread under the broiler.
- Take the other bowl and mix with the red wine vinegar and add the sardines. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Split the avocado in two and discard the seed. Take a fork and mash the meat of half of the avocado. When the bread is browned, take the avocado and separate evenly across the bread. Then separate the sardines evenly and mash into the avocado on the bread.
- Top with parsley
Nutritionals (Serves 2): Cals: 303, Fat: 13.4, Carb: 29.8, Fiber: 4.4, Protein: 16.5