Since buying a slow cooker two years ago, Dan and I have been trying to find good recipes to use with it. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be! One of the good recipes we found was in a slow cooker cookbook and was for butternut squash and apple soup
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried rosemary leaves crumbled
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorn
- 5 cup (low sodium) chicken stock
- 1 butternut squash, pealed and seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tart apples
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Pour EVOO into a skillet and heat oveer medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and stir for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, rosemary and peppercorns and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Transfer to slow cooker and add stock.
- Stir in squash and apples. Cover and let cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours until squash is tender.
- Bring out the food processor or immersion blender. If you are using the food process ladle out batches of the soup and process it until smooth. Repeat until finished. Season to taste with salt and top with shredded swiss cheese. If you like, microwave the bowl with the cheese on top to melt the cheese. (about 1 minute)
Nutritionals: Cals: 116, Fat: .4, Carb: 29.9, fiber 7.2, protein: 2.
What’s your favorite soup combo?